The media, tech, & culture stories people are talking about today, curated by Jeff Howland.
1. Facebook’s Facial Recognition ‘Approaching Human-Level Performance’ (Jamie Condliffe, Gizmodo)
2. Do Media Startups Have Staying Power? (Megan McArdle, Bloomberg View)
3. Nate Silver’s new FiveThirtyEight site launches, but can his data-driven journalism find a market? (Mathew Ingram, GigaOm)
4. When robots help human journalists: “This post was created by an algorithm written by the author” (Caroline O’Donovan, Nieman Journalism Lab)
5. The Personal News Cycle: How Americans choose to get their news (American Press Institute)