Welcome to Geekbook — Capturing the daily buzz in social media and online marketing & design, as well as trends, news, and cultural topics that are helping shape and inform today’s readers. Send comments or ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org. See more from Dream Local at our Daily Dose blog.
Breaking: Labor Secretary Hilda Solis tells colleagues she is resigning from Obama administration – @AP
Today — A serious ferry accident in Manhattan, President Obama to nominate his chief of staff to be the next Treasury Secretary, Boston in a state of emergency, and no new Hall of Famers for now. These stories, plus we look at upcoming Facebook Timeline changes, a new iPhone, and more. Enjoy!
- Newsfeed: Dozens were injured in a ferry accident in Lower Manhattan this morning. The cause was not immediately clear. – New York Times
- Facebook Timeline: Facebook’s new Timeline for personal accounts reveals a single-column format. – Dream Local
- Apple News: Apple plans to release a lower cost iPhone by end of this year. Pricing between $99-$150. – The Next Web
- Toolbox: Is Facebook good for fundraising? John Haydon reviews the good and the bad, and gives several links and helpful tips. – frogloop
- Interesting: Why do we blink so much? Sure, blinking helps keep your eyes lubricated, however there’s more to the story. – NBC News
- Feel Good Web: Baby panda ready for San Diego Zoo public debut. – CBS News
“It’s so hot in Australia, one gas station had to stop selling petrol b/c it was “vaporizing” in the heat.” – @drgrist