Welcome to Geekbook — Capturing the daily buzz in social media and online marketing & design, as well as trends and cultural topics that are helping shape and inform today’s readers. Send comments or ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more from Dream Local, go to our Daily Dose blog.
Similar to yesterday, not a lot of trending activity, however lots of geeky social stuff to report. Tribune Co. looks to sell its papers, Facebook Gifts is here for everyone, Pinterest integrates with Twitter (the opposite of what Instagram just did), and more…Also, don’t forget, tomorrow is 12/12/12!
- Newspaper News: Tribune looks at sale of newspapers as it exits bankruptcy. – Bloomberg Businessweek
- Gifts for All: Facebook announced today that ‘Gifts’ is now open to all U.S. users. In addition there are new options to make charitable contributions to a number of non-profit partners. – The Next Web
- Media Consumption: Young-adult readers may have abandoned print, but they’ll take news in their pockets. – Nieman Journalism Lab
- Pinterest & Twitter vs. Instagram (cont.) – Pinterest adds in support for Twitter just as Instagram removes it. – GigaOM
- Musical Interlude: Depeche Mode fans celebrate. The group announces a new album with tour to follow. – Billboard.com
- What a Year: Twitter looks back on 2012, from #London2012 and #Sandy to the most popular tweet ever and the deepest tweet ever. (VIDEO) – Mashable
“Social media is the single most important thing for a startup in 2012 and neglecting its importance is a death wish.”
–Mason Estep, founder of StandOffer.com, as quoted by VentureBeat