Welcome to Geekbook — capturing the daily buzz in social media and online marketing, as well as trends and cultural topics that are helping shape and inform today’s readers. To see more from Dream Local, see our blog or Twitter feed.
There’s a lot of talk today about job numbers, but it’s kind of wonky so let’s skip past that. In media, the big news today is that the Washington Post may be setting up a paywall in 2013. I’m a little surprised about the lack of news discussing the Philippines typhoon and the earthquake in Japan, though there was this interesting story. Have a great weekend!
- Pay to Enter: There’s a lot of discussion in the media world today about the Washington Post and the Daily Beast considering paywalls. Laura Hazard Owen summarizes the week’s paywall news here. – Paid Content
@WSJ: Our current most-read story is about @WashingtonPost’s plan for a paywall. on.wsj.com/SLl8r7
- Facebook Fail: Netflix is in trouble with the SEC regarding a Facebook post from July noting the company’s good results. Jeff John Roberts talks about the case and the “feds poor grasp of social media.” – GigaOM
- Social Numbers: 150 million people visit Facebook Pages every day, and nearly half of visits in the U.S. are coming from mobile. – Sprout Social
- Twitterverse Aghast: Starting in February, Twitter explained on its developers blog, it will reduce the number of characters from 120 to 118 in tweets that include a normal link. – The Next Web
- Photo of the Day: As the crisis in Egypt continues to unfold, Twitter continues to be a key outlet for journalists and protesters.
@ElBiritaany We’re now at the gates of #PresidentialPalace
- Viral Video? Could this be the next video to go viral on YouTube? The Maine Potato Board’s “Dance Video.”
- Shareable: Amazing video of Earth at night. Seriously, this is really cool. – NASAexplore
- Feel-Good Web: Homeless veteran’s gift to girl goes viral on Reddit. “I don’t have much but I wanted you to know that you have done what many others would not simply by being my friend.” – Huffington Post
“You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.” -Charles Buxton, British brewer, philanthropist, writer and legislator | via @SigmaXiSociety
Geekbook is produced by Jeff Howland, Online Media Strategist at Dream Local Digital.
Tips, additions, or comments? E-mail me.
Follow Jeff Howland on Twitter.